5 Practical Gift Ideas for the Fisherman
If there is a fisherman in your family that you have to buy a gift for, consider this list as these things are practical and useful and won't break the back. I am sure you will get a favorable reaction to your gift.
- Package of Gulp! - Most of you know about Gulp! But for the few that don't a brief introduction is in order. Gulp! Is a pre-packaged artificial bait that is absolutely outstanding. It took me a few years to completely go "all in" with Gulp! But I never do a trip without some aboard. Ok, enough of the pitch... I am not a sponsor. Great gift though because it is handy, clean, relatively inexpensive (around $6), and can be stored for a long time. Give it for Christmas and he can use it for his annual July 4 fishing trip.
- Fishing Magazine Subscription - All true fisherman are always on the prowl for more information, tools, techniques. Help him stay current with a new magazine subscription. Just make sure you get a magazine that is relevant to the type of fishing he likes. For example, don't buy a salt water magazine for a trout fly fisherman. The good thing here is that there are many options available and most magazines have great starter rates or are even FREE. This is a great gift for kids to give to their Uncle, Dad or Grand Dad.
- Vacuum Sealer - I get great use out of mine. Not only do I use it to freeze fish for over the winter, but it is great for sealing bait fresh. Of course, you can use it for every day kitchen work also. There are many on the market but you should be able to get a decent one these days for around $50.
- Rain Gear - If you fish, you need rain gear. This is an area you may want to spend a little extra if you can to make sure you purchase a Gor-Tex. A complete set is great but that could set you back a bit. Most times I only wear my Jacket anyway, so skip the pants for another time if you need to. You should be able to get a very nice jacket for under $100.
- Fishing Trip - Shop around for deals for next year. It is not too uncommon to see substantial savings by booking a fishing charter now for next year. You should be able to save at least 10% by booking early and you should only have to leave a minimal deposit.
I am a licensed United States Coast Guard U.S. Merchant Marine Officer and recognized by the International Game Fish Association (IGFA) as a professional charter fishing captain. I fish the area around Barnegat Inlet, NJ aboard my 28' Pursuit "First Catch".
I love fishing! It is simple as that and I have been blessed in that I have been able to fish thousands of hours over the last few years and don't mind sharing what I have learned. My goal is simple, promote the joy and techniqques of fishing with as many people as possible.
Please, if you have a suggestion let me know. If you like what I write let me know. If I am wrong about something or you have better ideas I would love to hear from you.
You can reach me at
Or visit now my web site
- Article Word Count: 449
- Total Views: 32