The car battery powers the electrical components of the car. Important for your vehicle's smooth running, it's often taken for granted. However, when the battery loses its charge, you may end up being stranded with your vehicle. Testing your battery at periodic intervals can greatly help avoid the potential problem and give you a warning beforehand.
Over the years, there have been several advances meant to carry out improvements in the longevity and durability of a car battery. On an average, almost all batteries need a recharge in 2-3 years. However, we often neglect to service the batteries until our car fails to start or we get stranded on the way.
Methods to Recharge Car Battery
For the purpose of ensuring smooth, uninterrupted rides, follow these tips to Recharge Car Battery:
1. For those who wonder about How to Recharge Car Battery should know the fact that it is best to charge the battery after disconnecting it from the car. You need not remove the battery from the car. The charger with long cables is meant for this purpose.
2. In case your battery is frozen, you need to warm it up first before you undertake charging it. If you encounter a problem with the battery in the freezing weather, disconnect the battery from the car and keep it inside for a couple of hours. An effort to warm it in advance will lessen the chances of the battery cracking that may call for a replacement.
3. A battery is not to be fully charged to start the car. It is worth knowing that if you drive for more than 30 minutes, the battery gets fully charged during the period. Once the car gets started, you can let the car remain running for a while to ensure sufficient amount of charging.
4. Before you begin recharging the battery, check that the terminals of the battery are clean. If you find them coated by a whitish powder, you should scrape it off with the help of a manual sandpaper pad.
5. Always check the level of the charge before disconnecting the charger from the battery. You can check after 20-30 minutes. If a replacement is required, you should try to charge it enough so as to be able to reach the repairs shop.
6. You can use jumper cables to recharge your car battery. General safety rules should be applied for jumping or charging of the car battery. Ensure that your eyes and face are shielded during charging through this method. Attach the jumper cables carefully.
7. You should keep checking the connection of charger by turning on the headlamps of the car receiving the charge. If they are bright and continue to glare brightly for a minute, the connection is fine to carry on the charging.
Frequent recharges may signal that the battery is in poor shape and requires a replacement. You can also use a trickle charger for effective charging.
Words of Caution
During the process of recharging car battery, battery acid present in a car battery may lead to severe burns. You must make sure that it is cleaned immediately with clean water and seek immediate medical relief in case you feel a stinging burning sensation. It is best that gloves and goggles should be worn while carrying/handling batteries. Be cautious about the splattering of the battery while charging. To prevent overcharging, a hydrometer can be used.
A good battery will help you run longer even under high-drain conditions. By following these simple tips to service your battery and with regular charging, you can tide over several kinds of battery problems.
For the benefit of the readers, our website has more useful and related information for car air conditioner recharge cost and also good stuff about recharging a car battery.
- Article Word Count: 619
- Total Views: 36